The National Science Foundation (NSF) has announced a call for Big Data Spoke proposals through the program solicitation Big Data Regional Innovation Hubs: Establishing Spokes to Advance Big Data Applications (BD Spokes, NSF 17-546). The West Big Data Innovation Hub is now accepting requests for Letters of Collaboration from PIs in our region.
Please use the form at bit.ly/WestLOC by JUNE 19, 2017 (earlier submissions will receive letters earlier) to request a letter from us if the proposed lead Principal Investigator’s Institution is located in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.
Form submissions will be read by the WBDIH Directors, PIs, and CoPIs on a rolling basis and kept confidential. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a Letter earlier than July 1, as soon as possible.
To read the program solicitation, visit the program solicitation page at NSF.gov. NSF will be updating their site with a FAQ closer to the deadline. For an overview of the program, visit the program page at NSF.gov.
- June 19th, 2017: Deadline to request a letter of collaboration from the Big Data Hubs. Earlier submissions will receive letters earlier. See the Submissions section below for more information about submitting your request. Proposals should then be sent to the host institution of the PI, which is responsible for selecting one to submit to the NSF. Per the solicitation:
- An organization may participate as submitting organization (or, in the case of collaborative proposals, as the lead organization) for at most one proposal responsive to this solicitation.
- Proposal submissions are limited to 1 per organization (except as non-lead in a collaborative proposal) to maintain a balanced geographic representation of the Regional Hubs and Spokes program and to increase diversity of participating institutions.
- July 1, 2017: Anticipated date by which all West Big Data Innovation Hub Letters of Collaboration will have been provided. If you need a Letter before July 1, due to your institutional processes, please note this on the form and also let us know via email to email@example.com ASAP.
- September 18th, 2017: Deadline to submit full Spoke proposals to NSF, which must include the letter of collaboration from a Big Data Hub.
1. What Hub does my proposal fall under?
This is determined by the institution of the lead Principal Investigator. i.e. If the lead PI on a collaborative proposal is from Virginia Tech the proposal would be submitted to the South Hub (no matter the locations of other collaborators).
|MIDWEST: This region includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.|
|NORTHEAST: This region includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.|
|SOUTH: This region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.|
|WEST: This region includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.|
Proposals which do not fall within the West region should be submitted to the appropriate Big Data Hub: