- This event has passed.
WiDS Datathon Collaboration Day
February 2, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm PST
Get started: form a team, meet mentors, join the action! Join us Saturday, February 2 for a collaborative day focused on the 2nd Annual Women in Data Science (WiDS) 2019 Datathon! The event is open to all; we welcome students, industry, mentors, and all data science enthusiasts looking to get involved. Come to meet other participants, form teams, learn the basics of participating in Kaggle competitions, and get a jump start on your Datathon submissions with the help of technical mentors and domain experts! Timed with the March 4, 2019 Global WiDS@Stanford Conference, the WiDS Datathon will extend from late-January through February 28th, 2019. Winning teams will be announced at the Global WiDS@Stanford Conference that reached 100,000 people last year in more than 150 cities. To learn more about the WiDS 2019 Datathon, visit: www.widsconference.org/datathon.html About the WiDS Datathon 2019 challenge: Did you know that palm oil can be found in everything from the chocolate in your desk at work, to the shampoo that you use at home? The WiDS Datathon 2019 challenge is to create a model that can detect oil palm plantations in high-resolution satellite imagery, building awareness about deforestation and oil palm plantations. The Datathon is a great opportunity for both new and experienced data enthusiasts to apply and hone their data science skills. Anyone from those new to data science to veterans of the field are invited to participate! The challenge is open to individuals or teams of up to 4, at least half of whose members must be women (female identifying individuals). Agenda:
- 9:00am – Check in and mingle: Networking breakfast & ice breakers!
- 10:00am – Welcome and Q&A with Tips from Mentors
- Cathryn Carson – Faculty Lead, Data Science Education Program, Division of Data Sciences at UC Berkeley
- Jill Finlayson – Director, Women in Technology Initiative, University of California
- Srujana Kaddevarmuth – Data Science & Analytics Lead, Accenture @ Google
- Meredith Lee – Executive Director, West Big Data Innovation Hub
- Catherine Li – Digital Leader, Branch & ATM Technology, Wells Fargo & Co.
- Vani Mandava – Director, Data Science, Microsoft Research
- Kirthi Shanbhag – Technologist, Western Digital
- Keeley Takimoto – Modules Program Coordinator, Division of Data Sciences & D-Lab at UC Berkeley
- 10:30am – Team Rotations: speed networking focused on skills or interests
- 11:15am – Team Formation and Working Sprints
- 12:30pm – Working Lunch
- 2:00pm – Coffee Break (Share progress & get feedback from mentors)
- 3:00pm – Teams work on informal presentations
- 4:30pm – Reflections & Next Steps